Saturday, January 9, 2010

Random thoughts about this week

Well, we have survived another week. Noah is doing well even though he looks worse. The glue is peeling off by itself and with help.
I am trying not to freak out as the temperature was 27 below zero C which is too close to F at this point. There was a moderate snow on Tuesday with this temperature and the newspaper headline was 200 Car Accidents on Tuesday in Calgary.
We also saw the strangest sight: A large white hare. . . it was just hopping by our street. It was big, but John's only comment that it wasn't as big as the one he saw that he thought was a dog.This was not a cute little bunny.
It is so hard to be new. It has been 14 days with no garbage pick up and we keep looking to see when the neighbors put out their cans. It is almost every day of the week, so we called our neighbors to ask and they said that we needed to call and arrange for it ourselves. They bring their own garbage to work and dispose of it there. There is so much to learn here. Think about having no garbage pick up with moving and Christmas.
The neighbors proceeded to invite us out to tea at 7:30 that same night at Second Cup which is alot like Starbucks. That was very kind of them.
I surrendered my Texas State driver's license for an Alberta one. The lady who helped us was a Canadian moving to Tasmania.
I was very proud of Gracie as we looked for a scarf and could only find very expensive ones, so she crocheted one herself!!
Someone told me that I was hard to understand because I have an accent. . .. ??
Below is the chest of cards from our Farewell for Now party. It was great to get our air freight. I didn't know how much I would appreciate these notes.

3 comments:

  1. Since I didn't get to add a note that day, I'll have to mail one and you can stick it in. I love that little chest!
    And so, so cold....we are warm and balmy even at 22 degrees here in Houston! ;0
    Take care and tell everyone hi!

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzanne, Thanks for all your comments on my blog!! I do welcome all notes at this point. I'm so sorry that it was cold there this week. I'm sure next week will be better.
    Will do,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie,

    So glad to see your post. So sorry that things are so hard. Perhaps you are learning a whole new skill set that will allow you to minister to newcomers back here in Houston one day! Sooner rather than later, right?

    It would be hard to surrender my Texas driver's license. What do they do with it and why do they care?

    Missed you today. Can I send you anything?

    ReplyDelete