Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Poem by Ruth Bell Graham

I thought this was beautiful.

The Man I Prayed For

Dear God, I prayed, all unafraid
(as we're inclined to do)
I do not need a handsome man
but let him be like You;
I do not need one big and strong
nor yet so very tall,
Nor need he be some genius ,
or wealthy, Lord, at all;
But let his head be high, dear God
and let his eye be clear,
his shoulders straight, whate'er his state
whate'er his earthly sphere;
And let his face have character,
a ruggedness of soul,
and let his whole life show, dear God,
a singleness of goal:
then when he comes
(as he will come)
with quiet eyes aglow,
I'll understand that he's the man
I prayed for long ago.

1 comment:

  1. this reminds me of a poem I put in David's baby book.....similar...the general idea is that I don't care what you grow up to be if you are only a godly man! thanks for inviting me to read your blog!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete